The following questionnaire is designed to determine if you or someone you know has a problem with chemicals. If you do find that your suspicions are true about yourself or your partner, get help. Unless this problem is addressed, the chance that violence will continue is very great. Answer each question with a 'YES' or 'NO.'
DO YOU HAVE A CHEMICAL PROBLEM?
- Do you occasionally use heavily after a disappointment, a quarrel or when the boss gives you a hard time?
- When you have trouble or feel under pressure, do you always use more heavily than usual?
- Have you noticed that you are able to handle more alcohol or drugs than you did when you were first using?
- Did you ever wake up on the "morning after" and discover that you could not remember part of the evening before, even though your friends tell you that you did not "pass out?"
- When using with other people, do you try to have a little more when others will not know it?
- Are there certain occasions when you feel uncomfortable if alcohol or drugs are not available?
- Have you recently noticed that when you begin using, you are in more of a hurry to get the first hit than you used to be?
- Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your use?
- Are you secretly irritated when your family or friends discuss your use?
- Have you recently noticed an increase in the frequency of your memory "black outs?"
- Do you often find that you wish to continue using after your friends say they have had enough?
- Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you use heavily?
- When you are sober, do you often regret things you have done or said while high?
- Have you tried switching drugs or following different plans for controlling or cutting down on your use?
- Have you often failed to keep the promises you have made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your use?
- Have you ever tried to control your use by making a change in your knobs, or moving to a new location?
- Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are using?
- Are you having an increasing number of financial and work problems?
- Do more people seem to be treating you unfairly without good reason?
- Do you eat very little or irregularly when you are using?
- Do you sometimes have the "shakes" in the morning and find that it helps to have a little drink or hit?
- Have you recently noticed that you cannot use as much as you once did?
- Do you sometimes stay drunk or high for several days at a time?
- Do you sometimes feel very depressed and wonder whether life is worth living?
- Sometimes after periods of using, do you see or hear things that aren’t there?
- Do you get terribly frightened after you have been using heavily?
If you answered 'YES' to any of the questions, you have some of the symptoms that may indicate alcohol or drug abuse.
Remember, you can recover. Treatment for alcohol and drug abuse is available. For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 619.315.1288